Saturday, July 28, 2012

The doom of ice and water - list

A nice young lady, Sunhi Mistwalker,  has a short chilling post apocalyptic story-series out After the Darkness, and  After the Darkness 2 .  Although you wouldn't know it from the first installment's cover, it is set in an ice-world, and thus she was asking me about my list of sympathetically themed list of ice and water novels that I had on hand.






















As some of you know - I think I was mumbling about it in the comments - I am working on a international review series of novels at the moment..  But another grouping I had planned was the anti-fire list - wet and cold - if you will.  Sort of like from Frost's Poem

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

-Robert Frost

Here is the list of what I have on hand- in hard copy:

John Boland - White August, 1955

John Christopher – The World in Winter, 1962
J.G. Ballard – The Drowned World, 1962
J.G. Ballard – Terminal Beach, 1964

Stephen Minot - Chill of Dusk (not sure if it is cold, but it is set in the State of Main) 1964

Anna Kavan – Ice, 1967
 

René Barjavel - The Ice People 1970

Arnold Federbush – Ice!, 1978
P.C. Jersild – After the Flood, 1982
Crawford Kilian – Ice Quake (same event as his Tsunami below), no date?
Crawford Kilian – Tsunami, 1983
Charles Whitmore – Winter’s Daughter, 1984.

George Turner - Drowning Towers, 1987

Jonathan Lerner – Caught in a Still Place (cover has small boat washed up on a beach) 1989

Michael Armstrong – Agviq, 1990

J.D. Cameron – Omega Sub (part of a series) 1991

Philip McCutchan – Flood, 1991

David Hood – Fatal Climate, (Sea level rising) 2000
Adam Roberts – The Snow, 2004.
I have already reviewed: 

Robert Edric's Salvage which would have made the list based on its flooding theme,

Julie Myerson's Then which would add a fair amount of ice cubes into the mix, and finally

Cynthia Kraack's Minnesota Cold which by title alone makes the list.

I am sure I have some on my Kindle, but I have already told you about most of that list  earlier.

No comments: